Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Center of Everyhing by Laura Moriarty (#30) and Girl with a Pearl Earring (#31)

While in New Jersey at Tom and Kelly's house I read two excellent books:

The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty is the first book by a favorite author whose more recent two books I have read in the past few months. The main character, Evelyn, is being raised by a struggling single mother. The author created a very believeable plot with strong characters. I could barely put the book down. My only comment is that I wanted the book to continue. What would happen to Evelyn in the years to come?


The second book is Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. I had heard about this book for a long time and believe I had even begun it before but finally I had time to really enjoy it. Set in Holland in the 1600's, a maid in the house of the painter Vermeer captures his interest when she reveals an ability to perceive colors and composition in his paintings and becomes the subject for a portrait. The author gives a realistic view of life at that time and place.


I highly recommend both books.

No comments: