Sunday, July 27, 2008
The first 200 pages of this book went slowly and I found my mind wandering when I began to read. Then about half way through the book, I was grabbed by the story and finished the last 200 pages in probably just one day. The story concerns three women with a variety of problems spending the summer in Nantucket. There are flashbacks showing how they got to this point in their lives, remembering past mistakes, and deliberations about how to resolve their personal issues. A young man in the story, Josh, serves as more than a babysitter, plus the husbands of two of the women, life altering decisions, and how to resolve all their situations. On the whole it was a good but not excellent read. Set in Nantucket, there is a little of the summer ocean feeling coming through, allowing us to vicariously experience a vacation setting while enjoying the book.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Perry and Gram always had the habit of buying lottery tickets while shopping so one day, while missing his Gram so much, Perry realizes that he has bought the winning lottery ticket worth $12 million. The story continues with what happens when the people close to him, his family who had washed their hands of him, and the world around him suddenly realize Perry has become incredibly rich.
Perry displays an intellect beyond anyone's expectations when he comes to understand what really matters in the world and that love cannot be replaced by money. He knows who are his true friends and who to watch out for. He has a knack for intuitively understanding business and makes good decisions at his work.
I really enjoyed this book and I know it will remain in my thoughts from time to time in the days and months to come.
Saturday, July 5, 2008
- 2. Martin, Steve, Born Standing Up, 1-11-08, very good, entertaining,
- 3. Viorst, Judith, Alexander and the Wonderful, Marvelous, Excellent, Terrific, Ninety Days, 1-13-08, good.
- 4. Bohjalian, Chris, The Double Bind, 1-20-08, good but not what I thought it would be.
- 5. Niffenegger, Audrey, The Time Traveler’s Wife, 1-29-08, excellent, so happy I finally got around to reading it.
- 6. Follett, Ken, Pillars of the Earth, 2-15-08, second reading, excellent. (3)
- 7. Borchert, Don, Free for All, 2-20-07, good.
- 8. Delinsky, Barbara, The Secret Between Us, 2-23-08 good.
- 9. Follett, Ken, World Without End, 3-21-08, excellent (3)
- 10. Jin, Ha, A Free Life, 4-02-08, very good, Chinese family immigrant experience.
- 11. Doyle, Roddy, Paula Spencer, 4-09-08, excellent, Irish woman, recovering alcoholic, her life.
, Michelle, The Year of Fog, 4-15-08, best book of the year, child goes missing. 12. Richmond
- 13. Kinsella, Sophie, Remember Me?, 4-26-08, disappointing, chick lit amnesia young woman
- 14. Grisham, John, 5-01-08, The Appeal, very disappointing, company contamination in small town resulting in Cancer
- 15. McCall Smith, Alexander, The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, 5-06-08, a little boring, woman detective in Botswana, little quirky
- 16. McBain, Ed, Alice in Jeopardy, 5-14-08, woman’s children are kidnapped, excellent.
- 17. Tolle, Eckart, The New Earth, 5-18-08, excellent, memorable.
- 18. Picoult, Jodi, Change of Heart, 5-24-08, excellent, death penalty with heart transplant case.
- 19. Walters, Barbara, Audition, 6-05-08, excellent, life story. (2) (add 5)
- 20. McEwan, Ian, On Chesil Beach, 6-10-08, good, newly wed couple at beach hotel.
- 21. Ferris, Monica, Embroidered Truths, 6-16-08, so-so, murder mystery in a yarn shop, not impressive.
- 22. Wolitzer, Meg, The Ten Year Nap, 6-23-08, very good, women’s lib redone.
- 23. Taylor, Jill Bolte, My Stroke of Insight, 6-29-08, excellent, young brain scientist has a stroke.
- 24. Macomber, Debbie, Twenty Wishes, 7-04-08, very good, bookstore owner and her widow friends make 20 wishes
- 25. Dave, Laura, The Divorce Party, 7-08-08, good, a little quirky, couple married 35 yr getting divorce, giving party, surprises.
- 26. Pols, Mary F., Accidentally on Purpose, 7-10-08, very good, single woman has baby, challenges.
- 27. Wood, Patricia, Lottery, 7-19-08, excellent, developmentally man wins the lottery and deals with his life and how it is affected.
- 28. Hilderbrand, Elin, Barefoot, 7-26-08, good. three women with various problems spend the summer on Nantucket.
- 29. Hilderbrand, Elin, 8-1-08, excellent, woman with responsibilities gets caught up with summer affair, all kinds of complications result; well plotted, much more interesting than #28.
- 30. Berg, Elizabeth, The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted, 8-6-08, good, short stories featuring middle aged women doing something out of character.
- 31. Dubus, Andre III, The Garden of Last Days, 8-18-08, excellent, a cross section of people in Florida whose lives get out of control
- 32. Green, Jane, The Beach House, 8-23-08, quite good, events in a large summer house on Nantucket.
- 33. Martel, Yann, Life of Pi, 8-30-08, good, took some time to become interesting.
- 34. North, Darian, Thief of Souls, 9-8-08, so-so, about cults and getting caught up in them.
- 35. Pattillo, Beth, The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society, 9-14-08, good, small town ladies knitting, reading, and dealing with their lives, a little light.
- 36. Frey, James, Bright Shiny Morning, 9-24-08, very good, fiction about the people of Los Angeles and events taking place there.
- 37. Haigh, Jennifer, The Condition, 9-30-08, excellent, New England family with three children and lots of various issues.
- 38. Siddons, Anne Rivers, Off Season, 10-10-08, good, woman at Maine seaside with husband's ashes reflects on her life.
- 39. Patterson, James, Sail, 10-18-08, good, reads like a movie, mom and children on sailboat against wicked stepfather
- 40. Chamberlain, Diane, 10-28-08, The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, excellent, needy teenager makes decisions resulting in secret life.
- 41. Davidson, Andrew, The Gargoyle, 11-12-08, horribly burned man and his life, strange and different, a little hard to read.
- 42. Shreve, Anita, Testimony, 11-18-08, private school situation, excellent.
- 43. Woods, Stuart, Hot Mahogany, 11-22-08, disappointing. This is an author whose early books were terrific, full of suspense and excellent plots.
- 44. Kubler-Ross, Elisabeth, M.D. , On Life after Death, 11-28-08, very good.
- 45. Enger, Lin, Undiscovered Country, 12-4-08, excellent. Teenage boy avenges his father's mysterious death. Well written and memorable.
- 46. Wroblewski, David, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, 12-15-08, mute boy and a family tragedy, excellent. Beautifully written. Needed more information to complete the ending which was profoundly sad.
- 47. Lamb, Wally, The Hour I First Believed, 12-25-08, well done, how the aftereffects of a traumatizing event like the shootings at Columbine have long lasting consequences on the lives of those involved and those nearby.
- 48. Shaffer, Mary Ann, and Barrows, Annie, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, 12-31-08, very good, adventures on the Isle of Guernsey and its characters just after WWII.
, Time to Murder and Create, Lawrence 1-02-07, good.
- Crichton, Michael, Next,
1-09-07, very good.
- Burroughs, Augusten, Running with Scissors,
1-14-07, odd and quirky.
- Wiesel, Elie, Night,
1-16-07, an important book.
- Cusk, Rachel,
TheCountry Life, 1-23-07, really good.
- Delinsky, Barbara, A Woman Betrayed,
- Braselton, Jeanne, A False Sense of Well Being,
1-31-07, so so.
- Gardner, Lisa, Alone,
2-7-07, pretty good.
- Hilderbrand, Elin,
TheLove Season, 2-13-07, outstanding.
- Jacobs, Kate,
TheFriday Night Knitting Club, 3-01-07, quite good.
- Hilderbrand, Elin,
TheBeach Club, 3-07-07, very good.
- Delinsky, Barbara, Family Tree,
3-12-07, ok but kind of unbelieveable.
- Haddon, Mark, A Spot of Bother, 3-19-07, very good.
- Mullen, Thomas, The Last Town on Earth, 3-23-07, wow, so good.
- Orenstein, Peggy, Waiting for Daisy, 3-29-07, good.
- Picoult, Jodi, Nineteen Minutes, 4-4-07, good but disturbing.
- Kinsella, Sophie, Shopaholic & Baby, 4-12-07, a little silly
- Binchy, Maeve, Whitethorn Woods, 4-18-07, very sweet Irish life.
- Davidson, Sara, Leap!, 4-29-07, very good. NF
- Shriver, Lionel, The Post Birthday World, outstanding, F, 5-08-07
- Shreve, Anita, Body Surfing, outstanding, F, 5-20-07
- Dann, Patty, The Goldfish Went on Vacation, N, 5-23-07, good.
- Vida, Vendela, Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name, F, 5-25-07, really good.
- Krauss, Nicole, The History of Love, F, 6-01-07, confusing.
- Ephron, Nora, I Feel Bad about My Neck, 6-04-07, NF, very good.
- Woods, Stuart, Fresh Disasters, 6-11-07, F, formulaic
- McCarthy, Cormac, The Road, 6-13-07, F, outstanding
- Drabble, Margaret, The Seven Sisters, 6-18-07, F, so so, mildly interesting
- Hood, Ann, The Knitting Circle, 6-22-07, good.
, Eat, Pray, Love, 7-02-07, N, very interesting Elizabeth
- McCaffrey, Anne, Stitch in Snow, F, 7-06-07, dated but readable, about knitting.
- Ramin, Cathryn Jakobson, Carved in Sand, N, 7-12-07, outstanding.
- Macomber, Debbie, Back on Blossom Street, F, 7-19-07, very good.
- Frank, Robert, Richistan, N, 7-24-07, good.
- Mones, Nicole, The Last Chinese Chef, 8-4-07,F, dragged a little.
- Wall, Judith Henry, Family Secrets, 8-8-07, F, outstanding.
- Garr, Teri, Speedbumps, 8-18-07, N, very good.
- Gardner, Lisa, Hide, 8-20-07, F, very good.
- Fitzgerald, Laura, Veil of Roses, F, good. 8-27-07
- Gardner, Mary, Boat People, F, so so but a cultural experience, 9-03-07
- Bloom, Amy, Love Invents Us, F, 9-08-07, strange.
, Life on the Refrigerator Door, F, 9-13-07, very good but very quick. Alice
- Hosseini, Khaled, A Thousand Splendid Suns, F, 9-15-07, excellent.
- Evanovich, Janet, Lean Mean Thirteen, F, 9-20-07, good
- Groh, Brian, Summer People, F, 9-26-07, outstanding
- Robison, John Elder, Look Me in the Eye, My Life with Asperger’s, N, 10-05-07, very good.
- Gill, Michael Gates, How Starbucks Saved My Life, 10-09-07, N, excellent
- Packer, Ann, Songs Without Words, 10-21-01, F, good but dragged a little.
- Bloom, Amy, Away, 10-28-07, F, not compelling.
- Walls, Jeannette, The Glass Castle, 11-04-07, outstanding.
- Penney, Stef, The Tenderness of Wolves, 11-10-07, outstanding.
- Gruen, Sara, Water for Elephants, 11-16-07, very outstanding
, The Almost Moon, 12-8-07, disappointing Alice
- Karon, Jan, Home to Holly Springs, 12-15-07, like a visit with an old friend
- Tropper, Jonathan, How to Talk to a Widower, very outstanding, 12-18-07
- Dann, Patty, The Goldfish Went on Vacation, very good, 12-29-07
1. Piercy, Marge, Three Women,
2. Evanovich, Janet, To the Nines,
3. See, Lisa, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan,
4. Woods, Stuart, Iron Orchid,
5. Karon, Jan, Light from Heaven,
6. Coben, Harlan, The Innocent,
7. Evanovich, Janet, Eleven on Top,
8. Lamott, Anne, Plan B Further Thoughts on Faith,
9. Bartlett, Ann, Knitting,
10. Lansens, Lori, The Girls,
11. Levine, Judith, Not Buying It,
12. Gardiner, Kay, and Shayne, Ann, Mason-Dixon Knitting,
13. Rocha, Sharon, For Laci,
14. Holloway, Dave,
15. Woods, Stuart,
16. Dispenza, Joseph, God on Your Own,
17. Proulx, Annie,
18. Macomber, Debbie, Susannah’s Garden,
19. Amick, Steve,
20. Chiaverini, Jennifer, Quilter’s Apprentice,
21. Tyler, Anne, Digging to
24. Pitlor, Heidi,
25. Glass, Julia,
26. Edwards, Kim,
27. Litzenburger, Liesel,
28. Snicket, Lemony,
29. Snicket, Lemony,
30. Crittenden, Danielle, Amanda Bright@home, 12-05-06, good.
31. Woods, Stuart, Short Straw,
32. LeZebnik, Claire, Knitting Under the Influence, 12-17-06, good.
33. Albom, Mitch, For One More Day, 12-19-06, good.
34. Hiaasen, Carl, Nature Girl, 12-28-06, good.
- Wolfe, Tom, I Am Charlotte Simmons,
- O’Neal, Tatum, A Paper Life,
- McLarty, Ron, The Memory of Running,
1-12-05, very good
- Haddon, Mark, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,
1-19-05, very good
- Hiaasen, Carl, Basket Case,
1-27-05. so so
S., The Good Earth, Pearl 2-03-05, great
- Haigh, Jennifer,
, Baker Towers 2-08-05, disappointed that it wasn’t as great as Mrs. Kimble
- Dunning, John, The Bookman’s Wake,
2-16-05, disappointing , Jodi, The 37th Hour, Compton 2-19-05, very good.
- Grisham, John, The Broker,
- McQuiston, John, Finding Time for the Timeless,
- Frey, Amber, Witness,
3-01-05, pretty good.
- Spragg, Mark, An Unfinished Life,
, All the Flowers Are Dying, Lawrence 3-13-05, excellent.
- Block, Lawrence, The Burglar on the Prowl,
- Picoult, Jodi, Vanishing Acts,
4-02-05, quite good.
- Bird, Anne, Blood Brother,
- Shreve, Anita, Light on Snow,
4-20-05, very good.
, Burglars Can’t Be Choosers, Lawrence 5-19-05, good.
- Mitchard, Jacquelyn, The Breakdown Lane,
6-02-05, very good.
- Wolitzer, Meg, The Wife,
6-7-05, very good.
- Macomber, Debbie, A Good Yarn,
- Crier, Catherine, A Deadly Game,
6-24-05, very good.
- Woods, Stuart, Two Dollar Bill,
7-10-05, so so
- Inclan, Jessica Barksdale, Walking with Her Daughter,
7-17-05, very good.
- Fonda, Jane, My Life So Far,
7-28-05, very good.
- Kinsella, Sophie, The Undomestic Goddess,
8-16-05, so so
- Wiggs, Susan, Table for Five,
- Hosseini, Khaled, The Kite Runner,
- Levitt, Steven D. and Dubner, Stephen J., Freakonomics,
- Mystery of reincarnation : the evidence & analysis of rebirth /by Danelek, J. Allan, 1958 so so
,Sweetwater Creek , ; good but not wonderful. Anne River 10-09-05
- Diamond, Diana, The Stepmother, very good,
- McMillan, Terry, The Interruption of Everything, very good,
- Lurie, Alison, Truth and Consequences, excellent,
- Frey, James, A Million Little Pieces,
- Ablow, Keith, M.D. Inside the Mind of Scott Peterson,
- Ward, Amanda Eyre, How to Be Lost,
- Didion, Joan, The Year of Magical Thinking,
- McCourt, Frank, Teacher Man,
- Trigiani, Adriana, Lucia, Lucia ,
1-02-04, pretty good.
- Anderson, Fred, From Chunk to Hunk,
- Andrews, Mary Kay, Little Bitty Lies,
- Connelly, Michael, Lost Light,
1-26-04, very good
- Dams, Jeanne, Sins Out of School,
1-31-04, pretty good
- Bush, Barbara, Reflections,
2-06-04, very good
- Patterson, James, Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas,
- Howard, Linda, Cry No More,
2-24-04, quite good
- Cohen, Adam, The Perfect Store,
3-6-04, quite good , Anne, The Amateur Marriage, Tyler 3-14-04, excellent
- Grisham, John, The Last Juror,
3-23-04, excellent , Anne, Earthly Possessions, Tyler 3-29-04, so so
- Patterson, James, Hide and Seek,
4-2-04, so so
, The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza, Lawrence 4-6-04, good
- Scott, Joanna Catherine, The Lucky Gourd Shop,
4-17-04, very good.
- Block, Lawrence, The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart,
4-29-04, so so
- Kinsella, Sophie, Can You Keep a Secret?,
- Stossel, John, Give Me a Break,
5-11-04, very good.
- Picoult, Jodi, My Sister’s Keeper,
5-13-04, very good.
- Siddons, Anne Rivers,
Islands, 5-24-04, quite good.
- McCain, John, Why Courage Matters,
- Winston, Lolly, Good Grief,
- Delinsky, Barbara, The Summer I Dared,
, The Hot Flash Club, Nancy 6-22-04, very good.
- Truss, Lynne, Eats, Shoots, and Leaves,
6-27-04, very good.
- Lott, Bret, A Song I Knew by Heart,
7-8-04, very good.
- Macomber, Debbie, The Shop on Blossom Street,
7-18-04, quite good. , Plainsong, Haruf, Kent 7-22-04, outstanding , Where You Once Belonged, Haruf, Kent 7-27-04, very good. , Eventide, Haruf, Kent 8-02-04, outstanding
- Grafton, Sue, Q is for Quarry,
- Woods, Stuart, Reckless Abandon,
- Newman, Judith, You Make Me Feel Like an Unnatural Woman,
8-30-04, very good.
- Reichs, Kathy, Fatal Voyage,
- Woods, Stuart, Chiefs,
- Oates, Joyce Carol, The Falls,
- Chaon, Dan, You Remind Me of Me,
- Binchy, Maeve, Nights of Rain and Stars,
- Kinsella, Sophie, Shopaholic & Sister,
- Hiaasen, Carl, Skinny Dip,
11-15-04, excellent and funny
- Eugenides, Jeffrey, Middlesex,
- Woods, Stuart, The Prince of Beverly Hills,
1. Kotlowitz, Alex, The Other Side of the River,
2. Allen, Charlotte Vale , Grace Notes,
3. Connelly, Michael, Chasing the Dime,
4. Connelly, Michael, Bloodwork,
6. Hendricks, Judith Ryan, Bread Alone,
7. Goudge, Eileen, Taste of Honey,
8. Cabot, Meggin, The Boy Next Door,
9. Grisham, John, The King of Torts,
10. Faber, Michel, The Crimson Petal and the White,
11. Haigh, Jennifer, Mrs. Kimble,
12. Tolle, Eckart, The Power of Now
13. Woods, Stuart, Dirty Work
14. Kinsella, Sophie, The Shopaholic Ties the Knot
15. Iles, Greg, Trapped,
16. Shreve, Anita, All He Ever Wanted,
17. Taraborrelli, J. Randy, Once Upon a Time
18. Ray, Jeanne, Step Ball Change,
19. Berg, Elizabeth
21. Kidd, Sue Monk, The Secret Life of Bees soso
22. Steinbeck, John, East of Eden,
23. Delinsky, Barbara, Flirting with Pete,
24. Dan Brown, The DaVinci Code,
25. Rice, Luanne, Cloud Nine,
26. Shapiro, Dani,
27. Weisberger, Lauren, The Devil Wears Prada,
28. MacComber, Debbie, Change in Habit,
29. Feiler, Bruce S. , Learning to Bow,
30. Paton, Alan, Cry the Beloved Country,
31. Parkhurst, Carolyn, The Dogs of Babel,
32. Block, Valerie, None of Your Business,
33. Douglas, John, Anyone You Want Me to Be,
34. Lamb, Wally, Couldn’t Keep It to Myself,
35. Karon, Jan, Shepards Abiding,
36. Albom, Mitch, The Five People You Meet in Heaven,
37. Goodwin, Stephen, Breaking Her Fall,
38. Woods, Stuart, Capital Crimes,
39. Agatston, Arthur, M.D., The South Beach Diet,