Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Happy Marriage by Rafael Yglesias (12)


Reading this book was an experience. For the first 50 or so pages, I was not drawn into the story, then as the book progresses, I was more and more drawn in, until by the end of the book, it was like I was there and experiencing the events in a mesmerizing way rather than just reading a book.
A Happy Marriage is the story of an almost 30 year relationship beginning when Enrique as a young man meets his future wife Margaret. It then flashes back and forth in alternating chapters as Margaret is dying from cancer while Enrique is caring for her. This fictionalized account actually happened in real life to the author, undoubtedly making this story really compelling. I not only enjoyed this book, but I feel like I experienced it, suffered with both Enrique and Margaret as the final days came. It is very well written and I highly recommend it.

No comments: