Tuesday, August 25, 2009

With the Light by Keiko Tobe (43)


"Raising an Autistic Child" Volume 1
This book was a new experience for me because it is a Manga, a Japanese comic. I enjoyed comic books as a child and Manga reminds me of that time.
"With the Light" is translated from the Japanese, set in Japan, and focuses on a young family having a child afflicted with autism. The young parents flounder, looking for why this has happened to them and dealing with many misunderstandings. For example, many people are thinking the mother is at fault, spoiling her child or not teaching him correctly when actually she's doing her very best without much support from anyone. Even her husband and mother-in-law at times think she is the reason her child is different.
I was surprised to see this Manga on the fiction shelves of my public library. I see that volume 2 of the same series is also there and I will be looking for it soon to continue this saga about the autistic child.

No comments: