Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (26)



I last read this book many years ago while in high school, so I was curious to see how I would find it now, and I was not disappointed. It's a timeless story about the poor and downtrodden vs. the rich and privileged, very timely in this economically challenging era. The Joad family lose the family farm because of greed from banks and corporate farms, so they hit the road in a ramshackle home built truck headed for California in the dust bowl of the 1930's. The family suffers greatly, death, starvation, and uncertainty, but heroically. It's no wonder this book caused an outcry when it was published.

(Note: I just watched the movie on DVD and enjoyed it very much. It was filmed in 1940 starring Henry Fonda and won several Academy Awards. After all these years, the movie held up very well. Filmed in black and white, the movie apparently caused a controversy when it came out due to the stark depiction of this era of American life. Of course the film left out a lot of the details of the book. The book and movie have made me curious to learn more about this time in American history.)

No comments: